Chicken, Wild Rice and Mushroom- One pan or casserole
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into slices 1/2-inch thick and 2-3 inches long
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice, rinsed well
- 3-4 cups chicken stock ( or 2 cups of stock and 3/4 cup white wine)
- 1 Lb white mushrooms (Cremini)
- Fresh parsley, garnish
- parmesan or gruyere (shaved)
- 1/4 cup half and half or heavy cream ( use sour cream if that is what you have!)
1 Cook the chicken: Season your sliced chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil in a large (at least 12-inch) skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 3 minutes per side, getting a decent sear on both sides.
2 Cook the onions: Remove chicken from the skillet and add onions and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then add a little butter and add mushrooms and thyme.
RINSE YOUR RICE!
The important tip for this recipe is to make sure to rinse your rice really well with cold water before adding it to the skillet. If you don’t rinse it well, the starch from the rice will make the dish gummy.
3 Assemble the skillet and simmer: Stir in the rinsed rice and nestle chicken pieces back in the skillet. Then add 3 cups of the chicken stock and stir gently to make sure chicken stock is evenly distributed. Bring to a simmer, turn heat down to low, cover, and cook for 15 minutes. (Continue cooking until rice is thoroughly done) Then add , a touch of heavy cream (half and half or sour cream), grated Gruyere or parmesan and sprinkle with parsley. Serve!