Below is the Catsup/Ketchup “go to” for canning. Its especially good on burgers, pork and chicken- I always add it to a charcuterie when we have some. It goes fast. But I also use this recipe as a kitchen sink- dont waste anything- recipe. We are at the end of the tomato season where I live so I made gallon of pasta sauce yesterday. But I still have field and Romas left along with the bottom of jars of relishes that did not get used over the summer, including a great pepper relish (hot!)- its all getting thrown in to my batch today!! Try this catsup- you will not be sorry!
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) pickling spices
- 24 red tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 12 apples, peeled, seeded and diced
- 6 onions, diced
- 1 red pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 green pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 cups (500 ml) white vinegar
- 5 cups (1.25 litres) sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) salt
- Place the pickling spices in a tea ball or in a piece of cheesecloth
- In a large heavy pot, combine all the ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Simmer over medium heat for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally.
- Pour into hot sterilized jars. Let cool and refrigerate