SHOP PIZZA ESSENTIALS at HOME Style and Decor
Cooking pizza on the grill gives it a gentle char and a fragrant hint of smokiness that the oven just can’t provide.
Technique tip: Tear the basil with your hands. Knives can bruise the basil and make it turn black.
- 1 pound pizza dough, store-bought or homemade
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce, store-bought or homemade
- 3 ounces fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- Fresh basil, torn
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
1. Preheat the grill to high heat. Brush the grill grates with oil.
2. Stretch and roll the pizza dough out into a large circle. Grill the dough on both sides until golden brown (about 1 minute per side). Transfer the cook dough to a baking sheet.
3. Spread a few tablespoons of tomato sauce on the crust and top with the sliced cheese. Drizzle the pizza with olive oil, season with salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes.
4. Return the pizza to the grill, close the cover and cook until the sauce is heated through and the cheese has melted, about 5 minutes. Remove and top with torn basil.